Thursday, September 16, 2010

We finally have broccoli!

So I planted these little broccoli plants last March and I never hardened them off, like a good gardener should do in the early Spring. I thought, when they keeled over and played dead, that they were goners, but lo and behold, DC was blessed with an unusually warm Spring. They grew and grew all summer thanks to that warm Spring, but to my dismay, that warm Spring spited them all summer. In order for broccoli to fruit, the temperature at night must drop significantly and then rise again during the day. It wasn't until yesterday, a full 7 months since I planted those seedlings, that I noticed a tiny broccoli tree. FINALLY.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had faith and didn't rip them out before they bore you fruit. Enjoy, they will last a long time in your 'hood, weather, anyway!

    ReplyDelete